Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

control map question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarse

Programmer
Apr 9, 2006
CA
I have been struggling with this for a while and its not making sense. I currently use several steps of a combination of batch files and maps to separate ANSI Standard DOC's, PARTNER's and ISA's ... I am thinking I should be able to do all this in a control map.

I currently have 3 maps ... the first one I pass in two files; a data file and a control file ... by using the EXTRACT(<object>,<field> = <control file data>) as a rule in an output card I can split the first data set into segments using a BAT file ... I then take the output segments and pass them through another map to extract the ISA number, document type and partner information ... finally using a batch file I call a third map with iterations of the output from the previous map then rename the output to <doc>-<isa#>.txt

To make a long story short there is a PUT command that would appear to allow modifying a map output file name ... I just cannot figure out how to apply this as a rule ... the EXTRACT makes sense as it is attached to an objects root element?

Can anyone please shed some light on this function and how it would be applied in an output card rule?

I think you need to look into functional maps and the RUN function. (see design guide and tutorial) Not sure why you would need batch calls.
You can over ride the output file name using PUT(FILE) or RUN(MAPName). See functions & expressions reference guide.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back