Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contradiction between IE6 and SeaMonkey..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmicbrat

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
CA
What is the software stream details in how and why this happened..?

I loaded my pix CD to a freshly loaded W98se HD.. and saved the pix files on the desktop in new files... When I went to send the pix files to My Documents folder, a pop-up happened asking if I really wanted to send a read only file to My Docs... Then when I opened one of those pix in PhotoPlus8, and editted it, and exported it to save the edits, when I clicked to delete the remnant of the now saved pix, I got a pop-up that read it couldn't be done... But when I rebooted the PC, all those glitches had vanished..?
This is the first time this has ever happened in loading a pix CD to the desktop...

The only things different is that I used a 10 gig HD for this system-load, and it might be Microsoft's latest too-aggressive updates for their IE6 download..?

Also, when I save a SeaMonkey Compose word file, it saves as an Internet Explorer Front Page word file under an IE icon, not as a SeaMonkey Compose word file under a SeaMonkey icon as it did for the past few years... None of this never happened before with IE6 installed in all the other HD loads..?
I didn't set any prefs in the IE6 fresh download... I can't find how to make SeaMonkey Compose word files save as SeaMonkey files... How can I fix this glitch?..

Could it all be from Microsoft's latest modifications to their old IE6 download..? It seems that some recent update changes to IE6 have made it too aggressive...

Would it hurt the W98se OS to uninstall IE6..?

Would it hurt HP printer operations to delete IE6, given that HP's three in one CD wouldn't install without first installing IE6..? I use the HP 3 in 1 printer only for making paper copies.. I never link it to anything else like the Web or Word... Generally I just leave IE and OE blocked by the firewall's settings, until I need them for something that requires them, and I favor SeaMonkey for all my Internet work and play, because SeaMonkey is so enjoyable to use, when IE & OE are so "sterile"...

I can't tell you why it happened or what's causing it, but I can say from personal experience that it is best to avoid IE6 when running Windows 98. Back in the day, IE 5.5 SP2 was the most recent version I would allow to be on Windows 98 workstations where I worked for a number of reasons:

1) IE6 often made many Win98 systems unstable
2) IE6 was less compatible at the time for sites that heavily relied on Java and Javascript for navigation
3) IE6 was more of a resource hog
etc...

Of course, none of this mattered under Windows 2000 or XP, so it wasn't necessarily a problem with IE6. Something about it though just wasn't meant to thrive in the old Windows 9x/ME environment.

If I remember correctly, there wasn't an easy way to remove IE6 once you installed it. You may want to dig around on google, as I think there is a way to do it manually (though it's a risk that can cause more problems). Make a backup now!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back