Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contivity 100 reset to factory defaults or get serial console working

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaedon

Technical User
Apr 22, 2008
CA
I've seen a few threads for different models stating there is a pinhole on the back but I don't see anything on the contivity 100 to reset it back to the factory defaults.

I've also tried connecting through the serial console but I suspect the settings have been changed, does anybody know what the defaults should be?

I'm guessing the dip switches on the back will allow me to reset it but I don't want to start messing with them incase I screw something else up.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

THANKS

I alright so I figured out the serial console I had a null modem cable but needed to be using a straight through apparently, so now I can see a password prompt on the console screen.

So now I guess I need to know how to reset it to factory defaults or how to reset the password.

Thanks

Step 1: Power off the unit
Step 2: Set the dip switches to 4 and 8 off. Off is up. All others on.
Step 3: Power on the unit and wait for the LEDs on the front to reflect the DIP switch settings. 4 and 8 off.
Step 4: Power off the unit, reset the DIP switches to off, and reboot.

This will reset the unit to factory defaults. You will lose all programming.

Thank you very much for the quick response it's greatly appreciated. I fear the unit maybe defective (or I've messed something up) I did as you said however all the LED's on the front stay lit up not to sure what this means.

Do you happen to know where I could find a manual and I could troubleshoot this stuff myself or do you happen to know what all the lights lit up mean?

Again I appreciate the help.

That's great thank you very much, it didn't really shed any light on what the LED's mean but no worries. I'm going to make a VGA adapter and try and see what's happening that way. I'll probably be getting 1 or 2 more of these shortly so the manuals will definately come in very handy. I don't how to thank you enough, you've saved me weeks of grief.

Ok so the the images are dust I was trying to back them up and ended up writing over of the wrong card. I've still got a backup copy but can't seem to get it to boot not sure what the deal is. I tried making the VGA header but that didn't go so well, so I ordered one for $10 with delivery and I'm just waiting for it to show up.

I've got 3 of these in total, 1 that will boot m0n0wall or pfsense and 2 that only show all lights amber when they are turned on, once I get the vga header I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out what's causing all the lights to go amber and I'll update the post.

Well sadly I got the VGA header but there must be a major issue as there is no video and no beep codes of any kind. I changed the powersupply and cpu and no change. I'm guessing the main board is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back