Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous RDP disconnection/reconnection for administrator user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Any troubleshooting guides/tips for this issue? I RDP into Server 2012 for remote management purposes over VPN. Used to work fine. Now disconnects/reconnects between every 30 and 60 seconds (random time) CONTINUOUSLY. Driving me crazy. Log shows the following with event 24 and 25. The VPN connection is stable, no ping losses to any device on the network, including the server. It's just RDP.

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager/Operational

Remote Desktop Services: Session has been disconnected:
User: XXXXX\administrator
Session ID: 1
Source Network Address:

Remote Desktop Services: Session reconnection succeeded:
User: XXXXX\administrator
Session ID: 1
Source Network Address:

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Any firewall rules or networking devices change recently? If you do any other connection oriented protocols such as FTP and/or transferring files through the VPN and see if they connect/reconnect? What OS are you RDP'ing from? Assuming you tried disconnecting the VPN tunnel and reestablishing the connection?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

No changes to anything firewall-related or network devices. Reconnecting makes no difference. Connecting to any other device (like their router web interface) over the same VPN (Microsoft PPTP) works just fine and is stable. This is Windows Server 2012 Essentials by the way. Trying to connect from Windows 7 Pro, but Windows 10 does the same thing.

I believe the problem happened AFTER we were experimenting with roaming profiles and logged into the server with a roaming profile. Then we disabled that, perhaps improperly by deleting the roaming profile folder first, and that seems to coincide with the problem. But I don't know if a corrupt user profile could cause this issue and I just logged in with the "altadmin" user and the problem still happens. So it's NOT limited to just one user.

The problem also could have started when we tried to reinstall the Certification Authority because we were unable to get clients to join the active directory via doing on the clients.

I know this comes under the heading of "why people shouldn't mess with things that they don't understand". I understand this is where I would normally tell people to call someone that can take care of it. Unfortunately, the client is not going to pay for that and actually doesn't even know it's happening. So, I'm trying to fix it without admitting that I may have caused a problem. The cover up is always worse than the crime.

You can also run wireshark and see if anything notable happens during the disconnect/reconnect. Since it happens quickly it should be easy to capture that data. Save the capture after it happens and you can filter the results to just the RDP port 3389 via "tcp.port == 3389", sans quotes.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

The "enable RDP in group policy" suggestion did NOT make any difference. I appreciate the response though. This is a situation where someone qualified could probably figure it out in an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back