Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous Form Current Record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 1999
US
My client wants a spreadsheet layout with columns frozen on the left (a la datasheet view), but datasheet view won't work for a bunch of reasons having to do with formatting and layout. (Well, _maybe_ it would work, but at the moment it seems there are too many things to consider in that implementation.)

I know that I can't freeze the first four or five columns, but could I put an unbound box in the header section that shows the selected information from those four or five columkns in order that the end-user could be sure s/he's working on the correct record? I tried looking this up in Google, but I couldn't find any exmples and I know that there's got to be a way to make it work (before I lose any more sleep/hair/whatever).

Thanks,

John Harkins

Is there some additional requirement that would restrict you from using continuous forms view?

It sounds like you are trying to mimic the split window option of excel. How about this. Create a query that has all fields you want to modify and include the primary key. Then, create a form based on that query (single form is fine) On the form put an unbound list box that contains the "frozen" columns of info--be sure to include the primary key. In the OnChange event of the list box put the code
Code:
Me.Requery
Reopen your query in design view and in the critera cell of the primary key put
Code:
[Forms]![FormName]![ListBoxName]

Users can select a record from the list box and that record will appear on the form for modification.

HTH

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back