Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous beeping at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

varcoris

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
Sometimes (say 30%) when I power up my computer (cold or warm boot) everything spins up but before I can get a video card signal I get a continuous stream of long beeps. The system halts there and just continues to emit the long beeps. All the beeps are the same length and they do not stop till I either reboot or power down. I actually had this happen to an older computer once but never figured it out.
System specs:
Win2k
Abit KT7A RAID MB
Soundblaster live 256
eVGA Geforce2 MX-200 32MB
256 MB RAM
20 GB IBM HDD
Plextor CDRW

Any info you need, just ask .... Thanks in advance for the help

BIOS BEEP CODES

That is what you need. You can find a list of
those beeps, which are a coded message as to what is
the problem.

(Usually, it will tell you RAM, or VIDEO).
You first have to identify your BIOS on the mainboard,
which will not be too hard for a newer mainboard like that.

You can physically inspect it, or the easier method is to hit PAUSE on boot up, and read that BIOS information.
Abit might help, but the BIOS company should have a comprehensive list on a website - devoted to troubleshooting for you.
** Check your manual also **

More information is available from some of these links:

* Award * BEEP CODES ( The ABIT KT7A BIOS ) *****

> YOU will need the model # <

Once you have the list, you have to carefully listen
to the BEEPS, and discern what the pattern is, and what that corresponds with on the list.

You may also, take out your video card, and reseat it.
Do the same with the RAM.
Do the same with the CPU.

> You have to have your computer UN plugged for all of these procedures.

Good luck.

Hmmm... I had thought all of the codes were sets of 3 or 4 beeps, after looking at BIOS central it seems that perhaps it is a memory error. I'll try this tonight when I get home, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back