Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continual Update Failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
I have Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8,0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Update advises me that there are two optional updates available to install:
Intel Corp - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1 ...
and
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems

If I try to install them I get a failure dialog then W7 goes into spasms and I get a repetition of:

Failure Configuring Windows Updates
Reverting Changes

then a reboot

Sometimes this happens twice. Tomorrow I will be told they are ready to install again.

Is this just me or is everybody getting it?
What is the problem?
How do I fix it?

Thanks

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Thanks hairlessupportmonkey but these are updates, not drivers.
Just the ordinary updates that Microsoft pesters you with every day of the week.

Yes, it is an everyday update, it is also the driver for the embedded video chip on the I5 cpu. You can also get the update as a driver download from Intels website here. Then as HSM says, just hide the update. Unsure what the second update is for, as it's not specific, what does it say if you select more information about the update?

Thanks to both you folk.
I have upgraded the Intel thingy.

This is what "more information" tells me about the second update:
"... Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 8.1 client update that lets you use the new Remote Desktop Services features. These features were introduced in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, and they are now available for computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)."

No offense intended HSM, but your post confused me.[ponder]
rclarke250 explained the matter.[thumbsup2]

There is certainly a star waiting to the person who explains why that second update continually fails.
What are Remote Desktop Services anyway?

What's confusing about suggesting using manufacturers DRIVER updates instead of the Micro$oft supplied DRIVERS.

Or is it that you are confused about drivers vs updates? Because updated drivers are included in the downloads when Windows updates your machine.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Is there a KB number for the update that fails, that would help narrow it down as to which update is failing.

Sorry. I should have given you that.
KB2830477

It is for the new remote desktop features included in windows 8.1 and server 2012 R2. Not needed unless you do remote desktop, and want those features, but go to this page and at the bottom, you will see, you need to have 2 other updates installed before this will install, so that is most likely holding up the install, and making it fail. Also has a link to the 2 other knowledge base articles to see if you have those installed, or need to install them. This is an optional, and not a required update. If you don't use remote desktop, you can ignore, and hide the update so you are not bothered by it again.

In the page on your link I read:
This update does not include Remote Desktop Protocol 8.1 server-side components for Windows 7 virtual desktops. In other words, this update includes only the new client. Therefore, the update applies only to computers that will be used as client computers.

I guess this means that I would only need this facility if I wish to have other people driving my machine as though they were sitting in my seat. Is that right?

No this is a client update.

This article describes the Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 8.1 client update that lets you use the new Remote Desktop Services features.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back