Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

content advisor on IE5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingo

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
GB
For some reason, when I open my Internet Explorer (IE5 in Win98SE) I keep getting a message saying content advisor has missing information, telling me to go to my settings in content advisor, but I've not changed them since I last set up my PC months ago, and when I change and apply them as it says, the settings don't hold and it happens again. Any ideas anyone?

Try running the IE repair tool, Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs highlight the IE entry, click on Add/Remove and choose the repair option.

I think whats happened is that there is a password set for it, but no one has actually set it. Try this only if you think you are comfortable with editing the registry...
If you do, always remember to back it up before editing.
Go to Start->Run and type regedit and hit enter.
You'll see a window with two panes. Down the left will be a list of entries with plus signs (+) next to them. Click the plus sign in front of the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" entry. It will turn into a minus sign (-) and a sub-menu will open to reveal a list of further entries with more plus signs next to them.

Next click the plus sign in front of "SOFTWARE", then "Microsoft", and then "Windows", "Current Version", and finally "Policies".

In the "Policies" list click once on "Ratings". Look to the right pane of the registry editor. There should be two listings. One says "Default", the other says "Key". Select "Key" with your mouse and press the Delete key to remove it.

Leave "Default" and any other entries as is. Close the Registry. Start Internet Explorer and you should have no probs with messages....

hope this helps!!!
Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

Please sign the guestbook and tell me what you think!

~KeyTech

KeyTech's suggestion should do it. If not, try the following:

Error Message: Please Check Your Content Advisor Settings for Missing Information

------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 95
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
When you start Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Content Advisor
Please check your Content Advisor settings for missing information. Click the Tools menu and then click Internet Options. On the Content tab check the Content Advisor settings.
If you follow the instructions in the error message, you may not be able to disable Content Advisor, or the changes may appear to work but then do not take effect when you restart.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Ratings.pol file is damaged or corrupted.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, create a new Ratings.pol file:

Quit Internet Explorer.

Check your Windows\System folder to see if a Ratings.pol file exists.

NOTE: You must be able to view hidden files to view the Ratings.pol file. To view hidden files in My Computer or Windows Explorer, click Folder Options on the View menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the View tab, click Show All Files, and then click OK.

There may not be a Ratings.pol file in the Windows\System folder. If there is no Ratings.pol file, skip to step 3. If there is a Ratings.pol file, rename it to Ratings.old.

For information about renaming files, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type renaming, and then double-click the "Renaming Files" topic.

Start Internet Explorer, click Cancel to close the error message, and then click Internet Options on the Tools menu.

Click the Content tab, and then click Settings in the Content Advisor area.

Type the Supervisor password, and then click OK.

NOTE: If you do not know or have forgotten the Supervisor password, please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. For information about how to contact Microsoft Product Support Services, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Choose the ratings options that meet your needs, and then click OK.

When you restart Internet Explorer, the changes take effect.

reghakr

Thanks for your reply. I did as you said but neither renaming nor deleting the ratings.pol file worked, or doing a repair on I.E. so I had to take the third option of deleting the key from the registry which worked a treat.

Thanks for your help.

Slingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back