Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Form - What do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksoprano

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
I am in the process of trying to add a contact form to my site where visitors can input their Contact info, address, telephone number etc to my via a form that gets emailed to me from my site..

I have been messing with the formmail.pl script which doesnt seem to work for me, so I found the mail_form.pl script which is pretty much the same thing.. This one however actually lets me submit the form and acknowledges it being sent but when I recieve the email there is no form data with it..

The email message that I recieve reads as follows:

Form Location: Submitted: Tue Mar 30 02:11:15 EST 2004 from
Message from the Mail Form Handler on There was no form input recieved. Looks like at is running the script from the command-line...

That is what I recieve after form submission.. Does anyone have any idea whats going on with that? Or do you recommend I use a different form processor???

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Frank-

Frank,

post the code, and obfuscate your domain information, and also post your html form, just to make sure the form directives are in the right place

--Paul

I have written a very basic script that will grab every value on an HTML page and send you an email with the results

it's here:-

a sample page:-

<h1>Sample Form</h1>
<form name="form1" method="get" action=" <p>Name<input type="text" name="name"></p>
<p>Age:<input type="text" name="age" size="3"></p>
<p>Address:<textarea name="address"></textarea></p>
<p>Telephone:<input type="text" name="telephone"></p>
<p>Fax:<input type="text" name="fax"></p>
<p><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit"></p>
[red]<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="franksoprano@whateverisp.com">[/red]
</form>

MUST contain the invisible field as above!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Duncan,

That's exactly the reason Matt's formmail script was deemed insecure.

What's to stop me writing a form, and passing a value for recipient - hey presto - instant spam gateway

The recipient should only be set up server side, it's a simple job to require a set up script, plus who knows you may get an additional set up fee

Every cloud and all that
--Paul

good point - if he tells me his email address i'll set him up a personal one

Kind Regards
Duncan

Thanks everyone for the response, I figured out what it was... I was going nuts with it, but the solution was to rename formmail.pl to something other then that :) now it works fine..

I appreciate the responses!

Thanks Again!

FrankSoprano

Frank,

Just make sure that the <input type=hidden name=recipient> isn't in your html, or that at least its not the value used for the directed e-mail address

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back