Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constatnt disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabab

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
IL
Good day!
Installed Win Xp today + service pack 2.
After messing a bit with the services and configuring them back as they were, the internet connection started to disconnect every few minutes.
In a case of Norton Firewall 2005, when setting the protection level to "low" or disabling it completely, the disconnections would stop.
When using Windows Firewall (with Norton Firewall dissabled) the internet connection would get really slow.
What migh be causing this?
Tnx!

Tnx, but still no luck.
Today reinstalled XP and installed the latest version of Zone Alarm. Set to "High", and i get disconnected evry 3 minutes or so. Set to "Medium", and it works fine.
Could it be a some kind of virus?
Suggestions needed badly :)

. What kind of physical connection are you using, cabled or wireless? Dial-up?

. Are you behind a proxy?

. Are you behind a router?

. Are you in a Domain, or Workgroup?

Cable internet connection, USB modem.
No proxy, no router.
Domain or Workgroup, don't really know. :)

kabab, who is your cable internet provider? Find out if you are going through a DHCP server. This is strange as a cable connection is always "on". If ZA is the problem, get another firewall, I'm using Outpost. Call the cable comp's tech support, it's free. Have them ping your box. Explain to them the problem, they usually can help. Something's wrong if your internet connection is disconnecting every 3 minutes, with cable internet service. May be a simple tweak. I'm using XP Pro and Comcast internet service. My service never loses it's connection, unless the cable service goes out.

I live in Israel, and here you don't get much help from your internet privider.
I have tried a couple of firewalls and it's the same in most of them (Norton, Sygate etc'). All of the one's which had a security setting ranging low-mideium-high where causing disconnections on HIGH.
I now use Outpost, but I had some problems with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back