Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant Sending of Spam from my address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisk

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
IE
This may have been answered before but I'm tearing the little bit of hair I still have, out in lumps! About 5 minutes after I open MS Outlook, my system starts sending a spam email (Subject: "Latest Issue of LS Magazine Now Out") to hundreds of people that are not even in my address book. I have NAV, and my screen fills with pop-ups telling me that NAV is scanning 1 of 95 emails and then a new opo-up for every email that it has not been able to send...within a minute my screen is filled with pop-up warnings and when I delete one, there's another one behind it!
I have tried everything frim downloading and running macafee stinger, deleting all cookies, running Ad-Aware and quarantining all suspect files. As I type this it has started again and Outlook isn't even open!
I really would appreciate any advice you can give me to rid my pc of this obnoxious and pointless activity.
Thanking you,
Francis (Ireland)

Use the online virus scanning ot see if you are infected (sometimes McAfee doesn't pick up every single one).

Also, open your Task Manager to see what is running . If yousee a program in the lsit that isn't familiar, track it down.

Right click on your MY Computer Icon to go into Manage and see what programs are in your "start-up" sequence. If you see something that isn't familiar track it down.

Thank you...where exactly can I find which programmes are running?

You could also have a look at "scotty", it checks on processes in your startup procedure under Windows.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back