Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhony

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
IE
When this started I reckoned it was Blaster, (even though I was patched), but having run all the tools from Symantec and McAfee I don't have a virus.
The PC is going through the boot process, and about 1 minute after boot, it simply starts all over again. Doesn't matter whether you log on or not. I can get in in safe mode and it's fine. The problem started on Monday, and the only thing that's been installed in the past few weeks was some patches from windowsupdate. I've got a wireless card running for the past month, but there's been no problems up until Monday. Tried running regedit and removing items from RUN, but there's not much there to be honest. Any ideas????

In Safe Mode, right-click My Computer, click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click Settings under Startup & Recovery

Un-check the "Automatically Restart" option.

Basically, what's happening is Win2K was supposedly much more stable than NT/98, so MS didn't want people seeing the Blue Screen of Death. On a fatal error, it defaults to reboot (like that's going to fix anything, right?) That also makes it impossible to diagnose problems.

Chances are you'll see a Blue Screen of Death. Make careful note of that it says when it freezes, then post it here. We can likely diagnose the problem based on the error message.

Chances are good your PC took the SP4 update and if thats the case and you are constantly rebooting you will need to boot off CD rom and uninstall the service pack. Then restart.

I had to do that to two of my users as well as one i had to recopy over the Winsrv.dll file and restore the system files.

Well followed both tips and so far I'm looking good. Should have posted here 4 days ago and saved mysefl a pretty crap week. Thanks for the help guys

Add tek-tips to your favorites; it never goes out of style. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back