Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant comms between router & PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novexx

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have a couple of XPPro SP2 machines on a TCP/IP PtP network, they share a switch with a Speedtouch 510 router.

I seem to have continual communication between the router & the PCs, wheather the ADSL connection is on or not. If I disconnect the router this stops.

I have NIS2005 installed, and it happens with this on or off. NIS is displaying this traffic in the "connections" log as traffic on the IP addresses of the PC (192.168.254.201) & router (192.168.254.254), the logs show the following;

Connection: 192.168.254.254: http(80).
from DESK1(192.168.254.201): 2384.
650 bytes sent.
758 bytes received.
0.000 elapsed time.
&
Redirected Connection: localhost: 1025.
from localhost: 2383.
650 bytes sent.
758 bytes received.
0.000 elapsed time.

I have run a virus scan on both PCs and seem to be clean.

Any ideas,

Thanks.

Try some spyware tools. You may also disable items in the startup by using msconfig. Then if you are able to stop the communication you may start adding items back in until you see the communication start up again.

For spyware tools try:

Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Doctor
Spy Sweeper
Microsoft Antispyware.

It could also be uPnP(Universal Plug and Play) communications.

Thanks,

The other PC, which uses a different firewall is showing that the comms are coming from an internal router address, something along the lines of so you seem to be correct. how can i stop this?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back