Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant beeping when booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBL

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
US
Constant beeping (non-stop) when I try to boot computer. when it finishes the post I get a message saying windows could not start because <windows root>\system32 ntoskrnl.exe is missing, please reinstall a copy of the above file. I don't care about the missing file because I am going to reinstall windows, what is the source of the constant beeping. It's a dell so everything is onboard.

I would look at two things, memory and CPU. If you can identify the beep code via dell that will guide you in the right direction.

Look up the motherboard name and model number using belarc advisor then find out what bios its using then look up beep codes for the bios. My past experiences with bios usually a long continue beep either means bad power supply or bad motherboard(as galli says) and yes a bad power supply will still boot to give you a beep. Anyways heres the link for belarc

Also ntoskrnl.exe is the file that contains the logo images for windows, the ones you see when your loading windows.

Take out every card and every RAM module, and reseat them.
Try again.

Take out every card and every RAM module, and reseat them.
Try again.

Be sure the RAM installation is perfect.

check your keyboard ensure there is no key depressed....try it with another!!!!

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back