Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant beeping caused by NAV errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

My server (running SAV Corporate Edition 7.5) recently started beeping after I updated the virus definitions, even though the defs have "taken" in the client software (ie. the new date shows).

I know this isn't a hardware problem because there are loads of NAV error messages flashing up - as I get rid of one, another one pops up. There are all logged in Event Log.

I thought I could resolve problem by restarting NAV Server (the service), but to no avail. Even re-starting the server made no difference, as soon as it tried to load NAV, exactly the same thing happened.

I notice that although the date is showing the correct number in the local software, there's nothing showing under View / Real-Time Protection, so clearly no constant scanning is being done (I recently had a similar problem with a few clients, and fixed it by removing/reinstalling).

The only way I've managed to stop the beeping and constant error messages is to tell "Services" to prevent the loading of NAV on bootup, but of course I daren't run e-mail or web browsing because of the lack of protection !

Would it help if I reinstall the virus definition updates (after downloading them again) ? Would it help if I try to run LiveUpdate from the PC ? Or do I need to completely remove and re-install SAV (which I don't feel confident doing myself - and we're replacing our server soon, so I wonder if it'd be worth the time and effort that would involved.

I know I need to speak to Symantec in the morning, but wonder if you can offer me any quick advice/assistance.

Regards,
Jay/UK

I had this, and when i checked the event manager/log files, i discovered it was due to a corrupt download during liveupdate... With a new liveupdate i stopped and restarted the services and all was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back