Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consoles on first port of not-maxed out DNIC card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2007
US
Once upon a time....I remember there being a TSB about programming consoles on the first port of DNIC cards, and not filling up the DNIC card with display sets (at the time I think it was primarily referring to SS430s). I'm not sure if this is even a valid statement anymore - but is anyone still abiding by it? If it was up to me, I think I would - maybe just out of habit - but that's not how this system was set up. Not sure if reverting to programming consoles on those ports will help with issues we are having (certainly don't think it will hurt). Any ideas, comments?

On an SX2000, I would still apply this principle, with whatever phones you use, as the resources the consoles use is still the same. On a 3300?

There is no 'I' in 'Team'

Any DNIC console 3300 or 2K should be on a card with mimimal traffic, key lines, busy lamps, etc.

When I've designed my systems, I put my single line DNIC sets on the same card as the console whenever possible. If possible I've left as many unused as I can and If I have multiple consoles, I'll place them in different Per-Nodes.
Regardless of everything else, the design is less prone to failure.

I don't think I paid much attention to the PLID on the card and I don't think the PLID matters as far as traffic considerations go. The PLID would come into play if you have more than 1 console with shared LDN's. In this case the Console with the lower PLID would control the timers associated with the LDN's

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back