Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console One GUI Gone Wrong 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pray11342

Technical User
Apr 26, 1999
US
We have upgraded our server all the way from Netware 3.11 to Netware 5.0.<br>
<br>
After the usual problems, the server is working fine except for a couple minor glitches. After the server was running, we started up some of our old AUTOEXEC.NCF loads. The UPS Monitor uses COM1:, so I moved the mouse to COM2: This caused the new NetWare GUI to take a dirt nap. Can anyone tell me if there is a .CFG file that will tell the GUI to accept the mouse on COM2: without a complete re-install?<br>
<br>
For now, STARTX is commented out in the AUTOEXEC.NCF. To tell the truth, I haven't missed it that much. You have to use it during install, but when it was running I didn't notice anthing you could do with it that I was willing to wait that long for. Has anyone USED this thing to administer the server?<br>
<br>
I wanted to try the GUI Screen saver, which brings me to the second glitch. Both MONITOR and SCRSAVER have locked up the server keyboard, and the only way to regain control is to take the server down with the power switch. For now I am leaving the server at the double dot System Console and turning the monitor off. Is has not locked up like that so far, but Idon't like it as a permanent solution.<br>
<br>
Any suggestions deeply appreciated<br>

You can refer to Novell Support Connect Web site TID 2942570<br>
which details changing mouse com port. Briefly though the instructions are as follows:<br>
<br>
Exit the GUI <br>
<br>
At Console Prompt, type NETBASIC, and SHELL.<br>
<br>
CD\SYS:JAVA\NWGFX.<br>
<br>
Either delete or rename MOUSE.CFG.<br>
<br>
EXIT SHELL, and <br>
<br>
At Console Prompt, type STARTX.<br>
<br>
You will be prompted to specify serial port com number <br>
that serial mouse device is attached to.<br>
<br>
If the Serial mouse is attached to Com 1, select 1, and it will test the mouse.<br>
<br>
By moving the mouse, the test will display the x and y axis of the mouse movement.<br>
<br>
The GUI will auto load after the test is completed.<br>
<br>
A new MOUSE.CFG will be created with Serial mouse configuration.<br>
<br>
---------------------------------------------<br>
This seems to work.

On the second part of the question - I have ConsoleOne running, and have NOT found it particularly useful, and since it does NOT appear when you RCONSOLE to the server, it is even less useful. I think it's there so NetAdmin's can appease non-techy executives who want to see a GUI on the server like with NT. They don't know or care that it isn't really useful, and not at all convenient for remote management. If you could actually do some NWADMN32 functions with it, without a speed penalty, it would be worth having. Perhaps those are coming.<br>
You mentioned screen blanker - I have not gotten the MONITOR in NW5 to turn on a screen blanker - I really miss the red snake for telling how heavy the load was from a distance. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

All NW5 screen savers are built into SCRSAVER.NLM. If you type &quot;scrsaver help&quot;, you can see<br>
the switches. By default, it starts up in 10 minutes and locks the keyboard. You have to<br>
login with the DN of a user that has object rights to the server object (usually your admin).<br>
There are some TIDs re the abending of the server. I think that service pack nw5sp2a fixed most<br>
of those problems.

I have used Console One on the servers for little things, like editing login scripts. This was easier than setting up my notebook at remote sites to run NWAdmin. Console One is still limited and clunky, but Novell intends to replace NetWare Administrator (NWAdmin) with Console One. The advantage will be that Console One can be run from a browser, so you will not be restricted to a particular OS for performing your administrative chores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back