Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console hung when chaging from TS connected cable to one to a PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmac228

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2003
GB
I've had this happen a couple of times now. We have a number if sunfire v490 servers that are racked and connected to a terminal server via the console port (the TS is not operational at the moment however). To configure the server I've removed the console cable and plugged in a serial cable connected to a laptop, however I get no response in the terminal window. A poweroff/poweron resolves the issue but the same thing happens when I have to use the laptop again. ctrl-break doesn't have any effect either. Anyone any experience of/solution to this?

Ken

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by - Douglas Adams

I wonder if the server is getting a break sequence when you remove the console cable.

Take a peak at /etc/default/kbd and "man kbd"

You may try changing the KEYBOARD_ABORT variable to "disable" or "alternate".

Use the kbd command to change this value on the fly.

Do you remove the cable or do you shut down hyper term first? Ive seen that send a break sequence when I shut down hyperterm

First of all apologies for not responding to your suggestions earlier. Since posting we have seen several occasions where the TS re-configuration/setup is actually sending a break and leaving the system at the ok prompt. Although I haven't tried your suggestion (and don't know when I will be able to) spamly I reckon you've hit the nail on the head so a star for you. If/when I try this I'll post back.

Maximus, hyperterm is left running all the time, I just move the console cable.

Thanks all!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by - Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back