Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console freezing at switch administration menu, but winSPM works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcadek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2005
US
I don't have all the details at the moment, but this is a merlin legend phone system with merlin voicemail (standalone PC config for audix voicemail). Normally we configure both the audix and the switch through this PC, as of yesterday the system will freeze when I go into switch administration -> F1 -> sys prog , it just locks up. The initial system programming menu seems little sluggish but it DOES take the first "F1" and moves on to next screen where it locks up.

I then tried to use a PC with winSPM to dial in and to my suprise that works fine, I can get past sys prog -> labeling -> extensions etc... quick response and no lock ups.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you can share :) I suppose I can continue configuring the system through winSPM but I'd really like to know if it is a sign of doom & gloom to come.

Of course all this happens the 1 year we drop avaya support, oops.

Did you upgrade the processor? If you did, then the spm portion of the audix may no longer work.

no upgrades were done in the past... oh lets say 10 years or so, lol (I wish)

only thing we recently did were couple of power outtages so system had to be shutdown before batteries ran out.

Sounds like the Intuity Audix is having issues, May be a failing processor or hard drive, could also be a maintenance issue. Perform a soft shutdown and Cold Boot, power off-wait 30 seconds power-on, do this several times so that the maintenance software in audix can do its job. Watch the boot sequence on the screen and look for errors, each time. Also check the Maintenance error logs.
The unix operating system can get clogged with garbage if the machine is not rebooted a couple of times a year, causing issues.

Probably time to consider replacing the processor.

If it is an R7, you can save the configurations to a PCMCIA and load them to another R7 processor.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

I second the vote for phonerus' suggestions. The serial port is getting sticky because the SCSI interrupts have a higher priority. If the hard disc is striving to read or record data, the serial port may appear to lock up.

Fortunately AUDIX does some basic housekeeping every time it cold boots: File structure is checked and databases are automatically rebuilt whether needed or not.

Note that this may only temporarily fix the problem. If that's the case, then you need to prepare your customer to invest in another voicemail solution.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back