Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console Baud Speed Does Not Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSupportEngineer

Technical User
Aug 2, 2005
US
Hi all,
In practicing xmodem on a 2600 router, I changed the console speed to 115000 as was suggested in the Cisco website when running xmodem. I recovered from a deleted IOS, reloaded it, but cannot seem to return the console speed to 9600 from 11500.
I get into ROMMON, type confreg, say yes to changing the configuration, no to all except changing the console speed, choose "0", the console reads back the console speed is 9600 baud. I either reboot ("i") or power cycle the router. When I change the console speed on my connection (Terra Term or Hyperterminal) the speed seems fine (I can read the output) up to the point of "16384K of System Flash (Read/Write). Then I get garbage until I change the speed back up to 115000.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi all (again),
Well you know when in doubt, try something else. Figuring there must be another way to set console speed w/o going into ROMMON, I did a:
config t
line con0, then I punted (typed "?")

It just so happens there is a "speed" command for the combination receive and send (there is also a separate rxspeed and txspeed for individual receive and transmit speeds). Talk about thinking out of the box, I had to think out of ROMMON.
If you read my previous post, thanks. Looks like I'm good to go.

All the best for a great New Year,

TSupportEngineer

I either reboot ("i") or power cycle the router."
No---you must type "reset" for the change to take place.

Burt

Sure. You can try it again to see...

rommon1>confreg 2102
rommon2>reset

I can't remember what the config register dips must be set to to change baud speed, but it's out there somewhere in GoogleLand, I'm sure.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back