Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consistent Wavy Line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike4077

Technical User
May 26, 2006
CA
I am in need of a consistent wavy line for a geological cross section, this line is sometimes horizontal but sometimes on an angle is there a way to make a smooth and consistent line. i have tried the zig zag and have made a brush but i can never get it to be the same size Any ideas????????

Thanks

Mike

If I were doing this, I'd turn on the grid and the snap to grid feature. Then I would be able to make my curves (with the pen tool) very consistant by moving the control points a set distance every time. You could also try just drawing a straight line and use the warp feature to make it curve, but again, the grid will be most helpfull here.

Mike - I had one thought - you can use the distort feature to create your zigzag line as you did (make it the longest length you'll need). Then hit Object | Expand Appearance to give you a path you can edit.

Drag the zigzag line onto the symbols palette so you can reuse it for all your cross sections. Each time you need the zigzag line you can drag it from the symbols palette but when the line is too long or needs to be diagonal you can rotate it or flip it but use the pathfinder to divide the line and cut off the ends you don't need (or use the scissors to delete the extra ends). Just be careful

I hope it helps - this really had me stumped... kim

I'm new to the site. Don't know if you got an adequate answer. I'd first draw a straight line in Illus. holding the shift key down. Then I would continue to add a lot of anchor points by: Object: Path: Add anchor points. Maybe three or four, five times. You will have to experiment. Then go under Filter: Distort: Zigzag filter, put the preview on and make sure the rounded edge is selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back