Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consistent Navigation across Site Collections in SharePoint 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

FesterSXS

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am trying to implement a consistent top navigation across a number of different site collections and am not having much joy. All the solutions I can find for this seem to be for MOSS 2007 whereas I need this to work in SharePoint 2010.

I would like to go down the route of a Custom XML SiteMapProvider but I am happy to consider alternatives.

The links in this top navigation do not need to be security trimmed.

Any help greatly appreciated

kind regards

Tony

Tony
---------------------------------------

I just created a new SharePoint:Menu and linked it to a custom sitemap provider. Then I copied the s4-tn css class entries from corev4.css to a new css named corev4_custom.css and renamed the css entries to s4-tn-custom. You have to make sure you register the custom css although the replace functionality for the theme colors isn't working. This was the quickest/easiest way I could find. Now security trimming but sounds like that's not a requirement for you. You'll have to edit the master page for each site collections but you should be able to point them all to one sitemap file. Here's some sample code:

Register custom css on master:
<SharePoint:CssRegistration name="corev4_custom.css" After="corev4.css" runat="server"/>

Custom Menu Control:
<Sharepoint:AspMenu runat="server"
id="mnuCrossSite"
DataSourceID="dsCrossSite"
Orientation="Horizontal"
UseSimpleRendering="True"
MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="4"
UseSeparateCSS="False"
CssClass="s4-tn-custom"/>

Site map datasource:
<asp:SiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="dsCrossSite" ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="CrossSiteMenuProvider"/>

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back