Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Considering MCDBA Cert -need advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keebler

MIS
Feb 22, 2001
DE
Hi All,

I am currently a network administrator in a novell enviorment, and have discovered an interest in databases.
I don´t have much experience and would like to know if the MCDBA cert is maybe a little too advanced for someone just getting into the field.

Is there possibly other ways of getting started or is this a good way.

any advice would be appreciated

Chris
MCP CNA

The MCDBA is probably a good starting point for an Admin in Databases as studying for the cert will teach you some SQL along the way.

A better bet might be to take a few SQL classes at a community college then look into the Oracle certifications.

The MCDBA requires you to also know the administration of Windows servers... so it might be a bit off of your focus on databases.

I'd download evals of Oracle and MS SQL Server and play around, see what ya like then decide the best path for yourself, it may not even include a certification! CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Like CharlieJax said, go into oracle!
i´m sitting in germany, and try to get into the databasesfield. with my msce(nt) mcp msce (w2k) and mcsa
i work on my mcdba. but i will have to change i guess, because every company here is using oracle :-(
and even if they posses sql server they don´t mind about
them???!!!

but after all somehow it´s worth the fun!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back