Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Considering Enterprise 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyhacker

Technical User
Feb 26, 2010
GB
I have had endpoint 11 before for clients only and it seemed to slow them down significantly. Now I have a server (SBS2008) I will need a server A/V which of course this product does. I am following this because I can get 25 licenses for £70 which seems good value.

Not being really experienced on this subject and seeing another post here (11.5?) with seemingly configuration issues am I right to keep with this product?

Your better experience appreciated. Currently I have Norton IP 2010 on clients so will have to phase over expiring clients with a new A/V.

Thanks for your time.

We have installed Endpoint 11 at several clients, especially on new configurations, with great success. On newer servers, I have had configurations between 10-30 clients without any major slowdown in service.

The best question to ask is how many other services are running on the box. Any AV solution (AVG, McAfee, Symantec) wants to run on its own box, but if configured properly, you should not experience any significant delay.

As always, I would caution against putting too many servers on one box.

I would also triple-check the £70 you're paying for 25 licenses - that's awfully cheap...

Hope that helps...

Can you tell me, does Endpoint 11 include protection of Exchange Server in SBS 2008 or do we need a separate package?

Thanks for your time.

SEP has a separate package for Exchange protection. There are some licenses from Symantec that include it; you'll have to check whether you have it or not.

By the way, SEP 11 MR5 has had noticeable speed increases on clients for me. Unless I'm just imagining things. The other thread was more tips to get it set up and configured properly.

Interesting, thanks. You are using this for SBS2008?

Thanks for your time.

I don't use SBS products, I'm using it on 2003 Enterprise servers.

I have sep11 mr5 installed in about 50 clients

4 of them win2k8 SP2(servers running exchange 2010, backup exec 2010, AD etc)

25 of them are installed in win2k3 SP2
the rest installed on xp.

I have not noticed any performace issues so far they have been running for over 4 months. I did however noticed during my initial testing that scans would take longer than usual and that was because i needed to add centralized exclusion to prevent sep from scanning windows logs files etc. if you have not done so you might want to check this article from microsoft

exclusion for exchange 2010

for exchange 2007

Read sep11 best practices

if you dont know if you have set up exclusion already check the following kb

Let us know if you have further questions

Thanks for that detail. I will use it when I configure the server.

Thanks for your time.

On and i forgot to mentioned that while sep11mr5 provides protecting for a client running exchange it does not mean that it can scan email in exchange for that pourpose you will need something like

You will need to search for a product that suits your need and budget.

What do you mean by a "client running exchange"? I thought Exchange ran on the server.

Why is it so expensive to run a server, with antivirus and then something for Exchange! What else do we need?

Thanks for your time.

Ok.

Let me clarify.

you can install sep client or managment into win2k8

Sep client is the software used to protect the pc.
Sep managment is used to manage the clients.

If you scenario you can install the sep managment console and then install the client into the same box (with me so far)

The sep client provide virus protection but it does not protect the exchange itself meaning that if you get an email and it contains a virus it will not strip it from the email or quarentine it, it will still be in the email.

When the user downloads the email if sep is running it will catch the virus (with me so far)

To protect your exchange server you will need the following.

an antivirus for windows.
an antivirus for exchange.
They are not the same they are 2 different products.

Let me know if you have more questions i will be happy to assist

My understanding is now:

1. I install the manager (optional) to allow a central update facility for any client that has sep client installed. If the client has some other a/v installed e.g. norton a/v 2010, MacAfee it will be ignored. I assume then if a/v auto update is enabled all sep clients (including the server) will be kept up2date)?

2. I install one of the sep a/v licenses on the server to protect the server 2008 part (i.e. not the Exchange 2007 part). Are the IIS parts protected with this?

3. Initially the emails will be POP'ed from the ISP which would have put them through it's own virus mechanisms. If I don't protect the Exchange 2007 on the server then there is some risk to the client when it's Outlook copy opens the email if it is still infected. Right?

4. Any a/v which is not sep on a client (or even the server for that matter) will have to look after it's own updates (e.g. some Norton 2010 internet security) until it's license runs out and I need to bring it into the sep "fold".

5. I gather the sep a/v will protect exchange and windows but individual licenses or is sep 11 only for the windows applications (clients and server 2008)?

Hope I'm nearly there!

Thanks for your time.

1. I install the manager (optional) to allow a central update facility for any client that has sep client installed.
If the client has some other a/v installed e.g. norton a/v 2010, MacAfee it will be ignored.

While the manager is optional is recommended if you want to centralize your clients. you can installed a client and
make it unmanaged if you want to they will retrive updates from symantec instead of the sep manager the more unmanaged clients the more bandwidth will be consumed since they will have to retrieve updates from the internet, also if you are rolling out unmanaged clients there will not be a way for you to know if a client is infected since the clients will not communicate with a centralized server.

..If the client has some other a/v installed e.g. norton a/v 2010, MacAfee it will be ignored.
Can you explain the last sentence? i dont fully understand it.

I assume then if a/v auto update is enabled all sep clients (including the server) will be kept up2date)? <- yes

2. I install one of the sep a/v licenses on the server to protect the server 2008 part (i.e. not the Exchange 2007 part).
Are the IIS parts protected with this?

yes...

3. Initially the emails will be POP'ed from the ISP which would have put them through it's own virus mechanisms.
If I don't protect the Exchange 2007 on the server then there is some risk to the client when it's Outlook copy opens
the email if it is still infected. Right?

yes

4. Any a/v which is not sep on a client (or even the server for that matter) will have to look after it's own updates
(e.g. some Norton 2010 internet security) until it's license runs out and I need to bring it into the sep "fold".

This part is up to you.Personally if i know i have a centralize solution i would not wait until a license runs out i will just simply uninstall the old av
and install the new one

5. I gather the sep a/v will protect exchange and windows but individual licenses or is sep 11 only for the windows applications (clients and server 2008)?
sep11 will protect all windows clients (check the supported operating systems section first) if you are running outlook 2003 and you have sep installed you can use the outlook
plug in to scan any emails that are being sent out/receive using outlook.(not the exchange server)
To protect the exchange you need symantec information foundation for exchange. or a similar product from a different vendor.

..If the client has some other a/v installed e.g. norton a/v 2010, MacAfee it will be ignored.
Can you explain the last sentence? i dont fully understand it.

Ans, I'm just saying it will run OK, update itself, etc. without interaction with sep however installed on other machines.

Clients will be vista business or W7 although older PCs may have XP Home SP3 until upgraded. Office Pro 2003/7/10 is mixed in the network. I'm not sure if I should join the XP Home to the domain or leave them on the workgroup (can they exist together?).

Anyway, all in all thanks for your input as it looks as if I can get this together (eventually)!

Thanks for your time.

>>..If the client has some other a/v installed e.g. norton a/v 2010, MacAfee it will be ignored.Can you explain the last sentence? i dont fully understand it.Ans, I'm just saying it will run OK, update itself, etc. without interaction with sep however installed on other machines.

Yes... but dont run 2 avs on the same machine. it will cause a lot of problems (performace to be specific)

>>Clients will be vista business or W7 although older PCs may have XP Home SP3 until upgraded. Office Pro 2003/7/10 is mixed in the network. I'm not sure if I should join the XP Home to the domain or leave them on the workgroup (can they exist together?).

Home can not be joined to domains (there are tricks to accomplish this but its not worth it)
Sep11 does however support xp home. see system requirements for clients

I currently have a mix of workgroups and 1 domain and all of the sep clients are currently managed by 1 sep manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back