Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Considering Blackberry Server Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi in continuance of this post I am reading up on installing the Blackberry Server Express downloaded from the RIM site.

It seems a bit complex, especially for Exchange 2003. First we need SQL Server, some blackberry router they are speaking of, we need to open a port in the firewall and most importantly we need to hotfixes from Microsoft.

Excerp from the manual
Visit to read articles 823343 and 894470.
2. Verify that your organization's environment meets the requirements that are described in the applicable known issues.
3. Download the hotfixes for the known issues on the computers that you want to install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or
BlackBerry Administration Service on.
4. Install the hotfixes.

One of the hotfixes, once installed will bring the CDO back from 6.5.7651.61 to 6.5.6980.3. The second of which will bring it back to 6.5.7232.95 so now I am confused because I have a newer one.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing? Or just leave well enough alone with BES 3.6... I alread have Exchange 6.5.7638.1 installed..

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

haha I know I know, I'd just like to take advantage of some of the added features, one being having the ability to open a picture attachment which 3.6 doesn't support, or I can't find a way to get it to work... and having the ability to sync contacts over the air. With 3.6 you can only sync contacts by cable to your computer.

Running e2k7 here, not 2k3, and I recently moved from BES 4.6 to BESX 5.0. I installed it on a new Win 2k8 VM, and used the transporter tool (which works VERY well) to move from one to the other. All in all, it went smoothly and was a couple of hours work.

A few things:

1. If you're already running BES on the exchange server (which is an unsupported configuration) and plan to install BESX on that same server... I suggest you rethink this, as it will probably end in disaster.

2. You don't need SQL Server, BESX will install and use SQL Server Express.

3. You don't need to open any inbound ports that I'm aware of, though there are some outbound ports that need to be opened.

4. This one is to mydenny: Aside from the additional features, this is worth doing just because of the data plan changes you can make as a result--BESX works with a BIS data plan, which will typically save you $15/mo per device. Assuming you only had 20 blackberry devices, you'd be saving $3600 a year, which will easily pay the costs of doing this. The 10,000 free CALs bit is nice, too.

By the way, despite reports to the contrary, we have observed no loss of functionality (on VZW, we have successfully enterprise activated OTA with the BIS plan).

I think those 2 Ms hotfixes are only needed if you haven't updates Exchange to SP2 (which includes them)

See:
jkupski...

1. Why would an upgrade from an old BES to BESX cause issues?
2. Correct
3. Correct. Depending on firewall, it may allow outbounds
4. I think the only loss of using BIS plan is some security as data stored via telco/isp. Also, some telcos have limits on BIS data, but not on BES (at least here in Australia)

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back