Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

consent.exe malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastaIT34

Technical User
Sep 9, 2009
US

I'm pretty sure i have some virus or some kind of malware.

Every time I try to install a application I get a pop up runtime error for the consent.exe file. Then the whole installation terminates. If this is a virus or malware I essentially can't install anything to fix it.

See the screen grabs attached. Any thoughts how to fix this?

image1_ydfiag.jpg

image2_uxa79i.jpg

Artist/Designer

A number of antimalware (although sadly not my go to antimalware software from Malwarebytes) and antivirus programs have non-install variants, e.g Avira Rescue System. Others have online scanners, e.g. Eset, or Trend's HouseCall

Consent.exe is (normally) part of UAC ... so this problem may not just be affecting installs, but anything that requires elevated rights.

I'd normally also advise running sfc /scannow at the commandline - but it requires the commandline to be run as administrator (i.e. elevated), which mi9ght not be possible given the issue you are seeing.

Malwarebytes does have a scanner only tool that doesn't require installation. Adwcleaner - it's not as robust, but it might work:

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

i've tried all these and nothing works... i tried the online esetonlinescanner_enu.exe and i still get this error...

Its more than just an app. install problem. it seems I can't run anything as administrator.

Artist/Designer

ok strongm... but what can I do?

Artist/Designer

Try booting into safe mode, start a command prompt, which should have admin rights, and then run sfc /scannow

That's all I've go for now, I'm afraid.

If you can get Windows 10 to boot into troubleshooting options, there are a few things you can try:
1. System Restore - if it's enabled (disabled by default in Windows 10) - still works great oftentimes if enabled before the trouble.
2. Safe Mode as suggested - but within safe mode:
> 2.a. Try enable the local administrator account
> > 2.a.1 Windows Key Plus X, Command Prompt (or PowerShell) as administrator if possible
> > 2.a.2 type net administrator /active:yes and press [Enter]
> > 2.a.3 Reboot, and attempt to login as administrator with no password (unless the administrator account was previously enabled with a password)
3. Boot from a Windows 10 Installation Disk or Windows 10 Repair Disk:
and attempt repairs from there. Since it's outside of Windows, perhaps you'll manage to get to where you need to be.
4. Next step may be to try to "Reset" Windows. Just realize you'll have to pretty much reinstall everything else afterwards
5. Or do a clean install of Windows 10 (or if your computer has a restore partition, try to restore from there)

One thing to consider in all this: if you've been struggling a while, and still not getting a solution: Is it worth continuing to struggle or is it best to just wipe and reinstall Windows, Programs, etc... or else take it to someone else who may be able to better fix it.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back