Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connot get NIS to AD domain user mapping to work with SFU 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmandell

MIS
Sep 26, 2002
US
OS WIN2003 server
SFU version 3.5

Setup:

Created NFS share on NTFS volume on win2003 server.
Server has SFU installed.

Server is installed as "member server", not domain controller, in AD2000 domain.

If I create a user map from NIS <-> local server account, on the server, I can successfully mount the NFS share and access files from unix/linux systems.

As soon as I try to create a "manual" or "simple" map to a Windows domain account instead of a local account, access is denied. (The mount is successful, but any permission to the files is denied.)

The error in the event log is:

"There was a mapping failure".

In the data area on the event it shows "User logon failure, <Windows domain/user> <NIS user>.

(Where <Windows domain/user> is the AD domain and username and <NIS user> is the unix NIS domain username)

Anyone have an idea how to make this work?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
Dana

Hi,
Have the same error here, everything worked nice, then suddenly, the same problem. I have checked user mapping server, can't find anything wrong. It's a SFU 3.5 installation.

Did you resolve the problem in the mean time

Yes, I had forgotten to install SFU on the domain controller. Something that is in the documentation, but not stressed. This is required for it to work correctly.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back