Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroach

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2001
GB
i am having problems connectiong to the internet. sometimes i can connect fine, other times istead of hearing the dialing tone i just get a couple of click sounds, sometimes i get the dialiing tone for about half a second and other times it starts to connect but then stops, my device manager is saying i have no problems with my modem and i have reinstalled the drivers. the message that comes up is usually"no dial tone make sure your modem is connested to your computer" ive looked inside, the modems right at the bottom but looks to be connected fine. once it connects once it seems to be easier to connect again after that.
any help would be much appreciated

thanks

jared

forgot to mention my modem is a PCTel HSP56 micromodem

jared

This could possibly have something to do with your phone line. Did you always have trouble with this particular phoneline. If it used to work fine, what changed? Did you add any phones or change any phone cables in the house?
Try these:
Put telephone on the loop with your modem. Use handset to check for dial tone when having problems dialing out.
Make sure line from modem to wall jack is less than ten feet.
When having problem, unplug other phones in house and try again.
If you do connect, test your speed. If less than 30k, call your local phone company to see if your line is connected to a public network switch.
You may want to install a new line if the one you are using is old.
Try a new phone cable (patch cable from modem to wall).
Borrow a similiar working modem and test in your system just to make sure the problem is not with your modem. (Shouldn't be if you can run diagnostics okay.)
If possible go with a cable modem. Well worth the cost and once you use one, you will never go back to dial-up.

Hope this helps.
Lisa Merchant
L&M Computer Services

are you set up as dtmf (dual tone multi frequency) dialing or pulse dialing on modem . Also could be a dud phone as Lisa states in parallel with modem . I have had this experience and it was a faulty phone and it was extremely annoying. Also it could be a noisy line . My line had water in it but the telephone company fixed this .Also if you have easy call -call waiting disable it as it causes modems to disconnect when the pip noise sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back