Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connects fine, or errors 800, 778, or 734 randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimK2

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
CA
Hello.

I have an odd problem. If anyone would like to take a guess at it, I would appreciate it. Here is my problem...

I'm trying to VPN into a local network that is 22 hops away. Sometimes it connects fine, and sometimes it takes a few tries to get it. On the times it doesn't work, I get errors 778, 734, or 800. I mostly get the 800s, but sometimes the other ones randomly. It almost seems like it's easier to connect in the morning than in the afternoon.

I'm using Win XP Home, but the same thing happens with ME.

I've tried using a different ISP (dial up) and that worked just fine with no errors.

We connect to our ISP by a wireless antenna, which looses less than 1% of packets while sending, and looses none receiving.

I think it must be my ISP's firewall, but why in the world would I be getting erros randomly?

Maybe it's because I'm loosing a few packets, but wouldn't that only affect UDP? I thought VPN was only TCP.

Is there some setting I can change to get around this?

MS KB 162847 ( mentions something about changing the Max number of Data Retransmissions in PPTP Tcp. Would this do anything? And if so, where is this registery setting in XP? The instructions must only work for 2000, because I can't find it.

I have my VPN connection set to redial every 1 second, so I leave it going untill it finally connects. Once it's connected the connection stays connected indefinetly.

Well that's my problem. If anyone has any ideas at all, please let me know. Thanks.

Tim K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back