Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connector identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

omux

Technical User
Jul 19, 2005
US
I'm trying to help someone with a problem. They need a new connector for their laptop hard drive and came to me. I'm only slightly more familiar with the area. I apologize for the large size of the pictures:

The second picture is a of a IDC44F, correct? But what exactly is the first? I'm not even completely sure if it's male or female (I would guess female). Once it's identified, where could he find one?

This is an adapter board from cardedge type connector that slips on a board to an IDH type connector that fits on pins on the hard drive.

It is going to be specific to the hard drive manufacturer.

I can only offer a "good luck".

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for the information. Would I be able to build it using standard parts by sodering them together on mount?

It would be ugly. I've got 40 years of working with printed circuit cards and wouldn't attemp it for any price.

I'd buy a used laptop and transfer the data.

You would be dealing with .100 spacing on the IDE connector amd probably .176 on the edge connector and needing thru holes or plated holes to get the signals to the opposite side. Both of those will be difficult for an individual to create.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Is it the hard drive that is damaged, or this adapter? One looks like a 2mm 44-pin connector, like a Molex 79109-0021. The flex connector can be obtained from different manufacturers. Molex, Hirose. You have to know the pitch between conductors. Digikey has quite a good assortment of such connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back