Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectivity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs1

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm not a switch expert by any means and am encountering an issue I thought I'd throw this way. I have a switch that three users use plugged into a cable modem to get internet access. Right now, only two of the three will be able to get on the internet at a time - the first two to boot up get on the internet and the last one doesn't. It doesn't matter which computers boot first, it's just whatever one is last to boot doesn't get on the internet.

I have rebooted both the modem and switch, all computers, but still, only two computers can get out to the internet.

I have done IPCONFIG /Release on all PCs, but still, only the first two to boot up get on the internet. I have statically assigned one PC's IP, but this did not fix issue. Does anyone have any idea how I need to proceed to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is this someting that was working then stopped? If so can you provide any details around the time it stopped? Can you ping one of the other PC's when you can't access the internet? What make/model switch?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

See if there are any clues in these semi-similar threads?

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

Home Networking
thread779-262625

Permissions error? but not!?!?
thread779-957761

XP cannot access other computers whenever the internet is connected
thread779-989191

Router won't let me connect to internet
thread779-1057496

If only two of the three can access the Internet and it doesn't matter which two of three (I assume you have tried barious combinations)... my guess is that the DHCP server on the router is set to limit the number of IP addresses it will allow. Check your router DHCP pool size and see if it is limited to two addresses.

You say a switch ? If you are not useing a router and just a switch your Cable ISP is only giveing you 2 IP's you can contect them and pay for anouther IP or get a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back