Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connectivity problem using telephone lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

palwinder

MIS
Jan 19, 2002
IN
i have two PC's placed in two different locations i am using telephone line for connectivity using modems on both the ends .I am unable to establish connectivity using windows 2000 dialup connectivity is there any solution to it. Is there any way of connecting to my server from a remote location using a telephone line and modem i am not using router in between please do reply immed.
thanx in adv.

you need to have your server have a static IP address. This address must also be public.

For example, if the server has internet access through a dial-up modem, you need service that allows for static IP addresses. Most do not. If the server has internet access through DSL or faster, you most likely already have a static IP address.

By having a public IP address for your server, you leave it open the hackers and such unless you invest in some sort of firewall software. But, it does allow you to have remote access without a router.

From my own experience, using dial-up modems will be very very slow.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back