Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectivity Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinmiller

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Hope someone can assist.

I have an OLAP server residing on a majority Novell Netware network.
I am using a tool called Proclarity, effectively a GUI for OLAP.
In order to connect to the OLAP services on the 'box' the connecting PC needs to be part of the trusted domain that the OLAP server is residing on.
Problem is, the PC's are Novell DHCP assigned, not part of a Microsoft network domain.
Has anyone come acreoss something similar before ?
Does anyone have a fix for this ?

robin,

i'm not using ProClarity, but i've been trying to connect to an Olap cube over the Internet and i encountered similar problems and unfortunately i dont have a final solution but hopefully this will help.

to bypass the "trusted domain" problem, u can do one of two things:

1. create a userID on the trusted domain, and put the userid in the connection string, so when everyone accesses the cube they will be using the new userID and not their own.

2. go to administrative tools and allow users or groups to be olap administrators and do the same in OLAP when u create a role

Sam

Sam,

I've got a similar situation, and these answers seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunatly I can't seem to get them to work for me.

I'm trying to set up a connection from a client computer (Client1) on it's own workgroup (Work1), to an OLAP cube on a domain (Dom1) server (Server1). I'm using Excel on the client computer, and trying to access the OLAP cube to create a pivot table.

I've added a local account to the server called OffNet, and tried overriding the user ID & password with the following connection string:

Connection=Provider=MSOLAP.1;Data Source=Server1;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000;User ID=OffNet;Password=mypassword;Client Cache Size=25;Auto Synch Period=10000

No luck. I get an error telling me that the user couldnot be authenticated. I also tried adding the 'Everyone' group on the server to the OLAP Administrators group, but that didn't seem to help either.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Jeff

I'd given up hope of getting this to work, and just sat through a Microsoft webcast on connecting to OLAP via. HTTP (support.microsoft.com/webcast, go to the archive, expand "Database Technologies, and look for "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services: How to Connect to Analysis Services over the Internet: Tuesday, December 4, 2001").

Durring the question & answer period, a couple of interesting things came up:

First, if you specify User ID & Password in the connection string, they are ignored unless the Data Source is a URL ( Since I'm not using a URL, this is exactly what I was happening to me.

Second, if you add 'sspi=anonymous;' (all lower case) to your connection string, then the OLE DB providor for OLAP will attempt to make an anonymous connection.

I've found that you must install Pivot Table Services (PTS) version 8.0 on the client in order to get this to work (Office 2000 ships with version 7.0, Office XP ships with version 8.0). The sspi variable is not recognized by version 7.0. PTS 8.0 can be installed by running PTSFULL.EXE on the client computers. PTSFULL.EXE can be found on the SQL Server 2000 CD, or on the Service Pack CD. According to the webcast, it is freely distributable, and doesn't require any extra licensing.

Once I had PTS 8.0 installed on my non-domain workstation, I modified my .oqy file to contain the following information:

QueryType=OLEDB
Version=1
CommandType=Cube
Connection=Provider=MSOLAP.2;sspi=anonymous;Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000;Client Cache Size=25;Auto Synch Period=10000
CommandText=Warehouse

I've used the sample FoodMart cube included with SQL for this example, and obviously you'd have to change the Data Source to the appropriate IP address, but it worked great for me.

Jeff

Unfortunately, i havent been able to setup the cube on a client's computer without installing OLAP or Analysis Server on their machine.

i've received many suggestions. i'll list a few, hopefully they'll help u and if u can get it to work , please let me know..

1.the account used by IIS to access the page needs to have permissions to your cubes in analysis manager under roles.

2. if all users r not in the same dommain then you have to have trusts established between the domains

3.All asp pages, images and javascripts should be in their own directory (folder), but in IIS you should create this with separate application settings. So, make your folder under the folder, then in IIS right click on the folder, and go to properties, On the directory tab,
you will see application settings. There will be an application name box, if this is greyed out, you need to create settings by hitting the create box. You should then look at your directory security tab and look at Anonymous access and authentication control, When you hit edit do you
see a check in anonymous access? If so, does this account have permissions in Analysis Manager to hit the cube? -if not make it so. If this has authenticated access, do the users with permissions on the directory have permissions to the cube in Analysis Manager? - if not make it so.

any luck let me know
sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back