Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectivity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

baycolor

MIS
Mar 23, 2005
US
Ok I have zero Oracle experience. I use Crystal Reports and someone once came to my cube and installed some Oracle software on my machine and I could then connect to an Oracle database and build reports. I have no idea what the database version is that I was connecting to.

I do know that when they installed the software I had under Start/Programs a new folder called: Oracle - DEFAULT_HOME and some other folders underneath that. And I know that they put an entry in a TNSNAMES.ora file in the path:
C:\ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN

Everything was working great for months.

Recently I had to install some Business Objects 6.5.1 Universe Designer software on my PC. Part of that process was to install some Oracle software to connect to an Oracle database that Business Objects uses. The software that was installed created the following program folders under Start/Programs: Oracle - HOME817 and Oracle - OraHome92 And I know that the TNSNAMES.ora files in C:\oracle\ora92\network\ADMIN was updated to make this connection work.

Today I attempted to connect to the Oracle database that Crystal Reports was setup to connect to. It failed giving me the following message box message: "Failed to open the connection. Details: ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name [Database Vendor Code: 12154]

I renamed TNSNAMES.ora files a couple times and kept starting and connecting to my Business Objects environment and found that Business Objects is using the TNSNAMES.ora file in C:\oracle\ora92\network\ADMIN to connect to Oracle.

So I took the TNSNAMES.ora entry that was in the TNSNAMES.ora file in C:\ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN
that Crystal Reports was using and put it in the TNSNAMES.ora file that Business Objects was using.

That didn't do anything. Same message is displayed when I attempt to connect via Crystal Reports.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?
Anything I can try?
Should I post this somewhere else?

That is about all my Oracle knowledge above. I don't even know if I have this posted in the correct forum as there are a ton of Oracle forums.

Thanks

You're now a victim or multiple Oracle homes. While this is technically supported I have NEVER had any success with having more than 1 Oracle home. (oracle generally handles it "ok", but 3rd party tools like Crystal typically get confused)

That being said....you shouldn't NEED what the Uninverse Designer installed. I am familiart with Crsyatl reports but not familar with the Universe product but my guess is that it installed the minimum Oracle components necessary, in case you didn't already have them installed (which you did).

I would try to uninstall Universe and then reinstall seeing if there is a custom option available in which you can de-select the Oracle portion.

After that reboot, make sure you have the correct TNSNAMES in the "original home" (...\NETWORK\admin)

Note this TNSNAMES will need the correct connection information for EACH database your Crystal\Business Objects products will connect to

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Did you pass tns alias along with user/password? If you didn't you should declare DEFAULT registry entry to denote your default database.
Another possible reason is incorrect/incomplete sqlnet.ora file that should list the rules to be applied to resolve this name.

But the best way is to find out where your Oracle server is located.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back