Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectiong to a corporate server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IG3Rosen

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2005
FR
Hi !

I have a simple question:

- Is a BlackBerryEntreprise Server needed if i want to acces to a corporate server with a blackberry Handheld ? ( eg. with RMI) (I don't need E-mail)

I think no.... but I'm not sure.

If the anser is no, here is the second question:

Is the BES only needed when I want to connect my corporates mail to the Blackberry Handhelds ?

Thanks a lot !

I am not familiar with what RMI is, If it uses MDS for the connection then I believe you do need a BES running the MDS service.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

If you don't need email what are you trying to access?
Blackberry is only good for emails.

There are a couple ways to get corporate email without the BES.

Nextel offers a service that allow you to access your corporate email. I haven't used it before but I heard it works OK. Not like the BES but it works.

You can also use the Desktop Manager to push the emails out but that will require a PC to remain on all the time.

Steve

I have to wrote a client-server application in java wich get the contents of spécifiqs fields of a data base wich is located on a server in the firm's network

ok I don't need BES if I don't use MDS Studio. So If I use only the j2ME packages it will works Without BES.. and it will work with all other device running a Java Platform...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back