Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection to the remote computer was broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz0221

MIS
Jun 27, 2004
US
I log on to our terminal services machine at work, and if I let my machine at home idle for more than 9 or 10 minutes I get the following error.

The connection to the remote computer was broken. This may have been caused by a network error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

We have changed to idle time on the remote computer to 3 hours, i have gone in and changed the max idle time in the regisrty and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I had the same problem.

I discovered that the router/firewall had a rule to drop connections that are inactive for 5 minutes. So the connection was not broken by the server (so the session settings didn't matter) or by the client. It was dropped by the router.

I changed that rule and now everything is fine.

I hope this helps ...

Adrian

Hi Adrian or anyone else who can help me,
I am experiencing an identical problem with my company's terminal server - I am not a network guy so I'm winging it, and I reset all the idle timeouts on the firewall also, but it's still timing out after five minutes. How do I go about changing the "rule" to allow longer idle times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back