Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection to ONE particular website is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
Connection to ONE particular website is limited.

I build and design websites with various hosting companies. I am having an issue connecting to just PART of this one company, Hostgator, on my computer.
I can connect to hostgator.com with no problem. I can connect to many of the links on the Hostgator site such as hostgator.com/domains or hostgator.com/chat. BUT, I cannot connect to Sign-In to my account. The link for that seems to switch to a subdomain, portal.hostgator.com. It times out.

I initially did all the usual stuff, rebooting, clearing cache, checking DNS. But then I noticed I couldn’t not access that one link on my phone too.

I talked to Hostgator and they say my IP was not blocked. My ISP came out and told me THEY do not block sites. But just in case, they gave me a new router.
What I discovered is NO device using wi-fi in my home could access portal.hostgator.com. I had 2 PCs, 2 Tablets and one Mobile phone and NONE of them could access portal.hostgator.
THEN, I discovered that if I use the cell signal on my phone, I COULD access portal.hostgator.com. If I turned my phone into a HOTSPOT all of these devices that couldn’t access portal.hostgator.com can now access it.

What is it about my wifi that I can’t access this one link? I even logged into the router itself and pinging the link didn’t work.

To sum, I have a new router AND new computer along with other devices that can’s access this one link using my wifi, but they ALL can access the link if they piggyback off of my phone hotspot cell signal.
Any ideas?

ERROR MESSAGE
This site can’t be reachedportal.hostgator.com took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Some WiFi routers have filtering built-in. Sounds like that's where the trouble lies.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

Thank you for your response. I'll look into that. It is an At&T U-verse Router.

Hello Kjonnnn,

I'm also facing the exact issue since last January only at my office network. Everything that you've mentioned on the above post I've tried from my side as well. Still my issue not resolved. Did you get a solution for this? Kindly let me know at the earliest.

I've started facing this issue after trying login with a wrong password several times by mistake i believe. Since then it was working fine. After that this portal is not working for me. Thank you for your time and expecting a positive reply from you.

It may be a DNS problem. Try doing a ping to portal.hostgator.com and see if your DNS servers resolve it to (today it was 50.87.240.139) then try the URL in your browser address bar.

----------------------------
40: Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
50: who put this $%@#(*$ Hill Here??
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Telecommunication Technology Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back