Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection to i5/OS Guest Partition Console 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the i5/os guest partition console by telnetting to port 2301 (i've done this several times in the past, but this is a different box)

I have the relevant virtual client/server serial adapters and I can sign on with an SST profile, but once I see "console connected" I can't see any further output or perform any commands.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

It's i5/os V6R1 with HMC7R3.4

Thanks

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Sounds like the qpadev* device might be trying to run in a subsystem that is not running or is varied off. Do you have access to the console, or can you use client access for iseries?

Mark

Thanks for your reply. The customer has created a new user profile for us, but I am not currently sure of the permissions.

Is there anything I should be looking at specifically? You will have to forgive me, I'm not really much of a System I expert, just know my way around LPARs, NWSD's and Domino servers!

When you telnet, do you get a login screen? You mentioned that service tools starts to work, but nothing comes back to the screen. How are you connecting? You said via serial port, is that correct? Do they have a standard twin-ax console that works? Are you telnetting to the ip remotely? I guess I don't follow how the physical connection is being made.

Hopefully you've found the problem and fixed it, but if not, give me some more insight and I'll try to help.

Mark

The connection is to a Linux LPAR which is hosted within i5/os

The necessary virtual serial adapters have been created within the LPAR profile.

I get the prompt to log in as an SST user. I then get "console connected", but I don't see anything on the screen.

I was connecting via the local network

I do appreciate your help, but this is not a critical problem as I can access the console via IP address...but it would still be nice to know why I can't use 2301 when I have in the past

Gotcha.

A standard telnet runs on port 23. 2301 may be used, but if it's not running in the OS, you won't connect.

Typically Linux uses SSH (port 22). Secure SHell.

If you have command line access, you could look for that port to see if it's open...

netstat -a |grep 2301

If it's open, you should see a line like...

tcp 0 0 *:2301 *:* LISTEN

Replace 2301 with telnet if you get no results...

tcp 0 0 *:telnet *:* LISTEN

Let me know if it's running. Check for ssh also, port 22.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back