Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection times out in less than one second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm trying to add a "port forward" in my ASA 5510 and I've hit a bit of a snag. When I try to log in via my ASDM Launcher software I get the following error message:

Unable to launch ASDM from 192.168.1.1: Connection timed out.

What I don't understand is how it can time out in under a second. At first I thought I had forgotten my password but after checking my notes I'm remembering it correctly. I've tried different passwords (and even no password) but I keep getting the same "Connection timed out error." I did get in once earlier today but like a moron I logged out without making the change. I've cycled power on the ASA but no joy. I've tried turning my computer off, and even logging in from another computer. No joy. Oh, it's no longer under warranty and I didn't setup a service contract with anyone. Anyone have any ideas??? Sigh.

Thanks,

Joe B

Check your Java version

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

oops, log in via the CLI and post a scrubbed config so we can see your ACL's and whatnot.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

This device was originally setup by someone else and I'm not a Cisco guy sooooooo, how do I pull a config?

Thanks,

Joe B

Do you have any documentation in terms of username/password, which IP's are able to access the device?? If you have the username/password then find a console cable and plug it into the console port on the device. Log in and issue sh run. Copy and paste that configuration here, but be sure to x out the second and third octets of any IP addresses.

I found out what was wrong with my ASA access issue. My assistant had plugged in a router back in our test lab to our live network and was using the same address as my ASA. I found this out by using my browser to access my ASA (again) and forgetting to put in the "s" for https. That brought up the router login. Then it was just a matter of going through address tables and finding out where the device was located, unplugging it and then successfully getting into the ASA. Thanks for all the tips.

Thanks,

Joe B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back