Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikual

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
HK
Hi all,

I have setup a linux server and placed it in a data centre. I can access my server through internet by SSH. However, I don't know why the connection to be time out after several mins later if I don't input anything(no traffic). The connection could be kept when I set it up at home. And, I also havn't set TMOUT of user env. Do this issue is related to the networking component such as switch or router? Hope someone has any idea.

Thanks

tikual

switches or routers dont usually cause tcp timeouts unless they are doing some kind of packet manipulation (firewalling, NAT etc).

I would check if any of this is happening between you and the destination server. Also if there any firewalls in the way, check their tcp timeout settings

hth

Hi,

It seems more stable when I connect my server during mid-night. Is it possible the router or switch busy and caused the connection timeout?

Thanks

tikual

Hmm possibly. Perhaps the next time you connect, time how long it takes for the connection to timeout.

After it times out, reconnect and time it again. If you find your connection keeps dropping out after the same amount of time, it may well be some network device has expired your tcp session to the server.

If the times to disconnect are very variable, chances are it's not a configuration on a network device but something unexpected (congestion, packet loss etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back