Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Speeds!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimclan

Technical User
Mar 2, 2001
US
I am trying to allow my users to dial up and get speeds over 40Kbps....

Right now I am running NT4 RAS SP6a with USRobotics X2 V.Everything modems on it.

The fastest connection speed I get is 26400 bps... That is unacceptable....

Is there any digital hardware I could purchase or special digital modems that could speed the connections up???

Any help is, as always, GREATLY appreciated!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Prior to purchasing any hardware I would have the phone lines checked by your local phone company. The reason I say this is because most connection speed problems are due to limitations in the callers phone lines.
Just food for thought...plus most phone companys do not charge for this :)

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

If that doesn't work, lower the baud rate down to 57600. I know this sounds crazy, but your modem is going at too high a speed to run properly. lowering it to 57600 will make your modem run smoother. I did this on my pc at home, and it increased my connection from 28.8 to 49.5. Good luck!

Julie s-) I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

To have a user connect at over 30kb requires a digital line from your ISP central office to you,IE:T1 ,you then need a digital modem the one you are using is analog and most public modems are.
I would probaly contact your ISP or you Phone company to ask about a digital line and/or a digital modem.
From what i hear digital modems are quite expensive.

Good luck and if you find anything cheap let me know my users only connect at that rate too.
and I already have the digital lines i just need the digital modems.

Nick

I have an analog modem, and Im currently connected at 45.2.....I don't see the need for digital

I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

It is impossible to have a windows PC Dial into another windows PC over analog lines and using a regular analog modem.and get Over about 30kb.
You MAY have a Windows pC and connect to YOUR ISP at 45 or 50 kb they have digital lines and digital swithing modems.
Maybe I misunderstood Swinclan,but I got the imprresion he was trying to dial into a windows pc running RAS from another windows pc.
If this is the case I am correct if this is not the case and he is just trying to connect to an ISP then you are correct.
Neoyak if you are connected to your own windows server running RAS and do not have a digital modem or at least one digital line.
I would like you to send me your config IE: modems at both ends,Server and pc at both ends,phone company name.
Because I will go at buy all that equip.I currently have a Win2000 server running RAS with 3 USR3cp Modems"Analog" a 4 SBC isdn lines "digital" and My home pc is a Win2000 pro with the same modems and analog USR modem.
When I connect to my server to access the internet i connect at 30kb.

Nick

30kbps is still a good connection. I don't see what's wrong. That and I'm down the street from the phone company, and I have no line noise at all. You may have line noise. Check it out. clgx299@earthlink.net

neonyak are you still saying you are connected at over 40k from your home analog modem to your OWN RAS server which has a analog modem and no digital line..?

I'm not on a digital line, and I'm checking on the RAS server. My husband knows that. I'm not all that familiar with RAS servers, and yes, I'm still connecting at 45.2
Sorry if you don't believe me. clgx299@earthlink.net

Its not that I dont belive you its that I dont think you understand what swinclan is trying to do.
you maybe connected at 46 but it is impossible if at one end or another you do not have a digital line..

I will direct you do a white paper on the whole subject.
Do you understand that Swimclan has His OWN RAS server "not an ISP" to which he wants his users to be able to dial into.

and tunnel though to access either his LAN or the internet.

This effectivly would be come his own ISP, But the down sides are that unless you have a digital line and a modem that will send at 56k (NOT REVICE) (SEND) this will not happen.
This is why when you connect to your own ISP with a modem lets say Internet america, you may connect at 45k but when you send stuff across the net its sends slower than 30k,This is because you modem is not able to send at 56k even if it says on the box USR56k v.90 modem.

Take a look at this link and after all that if you are still think you can dial into YOUR OWN RAS server with an analog modem on both ends and with no digital line and get over a 30k connection then so be it.
I KNOW THIS is NOT possible and if you think it is I would love for you to tell me how."in detail"

Nick

MCSE
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back