Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Speed - Noisy line - Sattelite Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallows

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
I have a 56kb modem that connects anywhere from 22kb to 40.2kb. I ran some diagnostics and noticed that everytime the connection speed is low, the noise is high. So I contact the telephone company and they say "Sorry bout that. We just guarantee that you can make and receive telephone calls". So, I am considering going with Directway. This is a high speed sattelite link for the internet. Does anyone use this and if so, is it any good? I have Sattelite TV and the darn signal disappears when we get a heavy rain. I am assuming the same will happen with the internet link.

gallows

I have seen directway one time, and it was crap. However, maybe others have had better luck. Ask your phone company if they can run a line test. If you have heavy line noise when it rains, I suspect you have a cracked or exposed wire somewhere. The phone company can repair it, but you may have to pay.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back