Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

elor55102

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
My workstations are loosing connection to the windows 2000 server. Some never loose connection some loose it a couple of times per day. When it happens they cannot save their work because it says "access denied" or "read only". Office 2000/xp is especially picky. Also connections to mapped drives get lossed if this happens. I am sure it is windows 2000 server because none of the wiring has changed and clients also remain the same. This never used to happen with our NT4 network. I think it has something to do with the GPO security policy but cannot figure it out. Kerberose??? Our network does not need a lot of security.

Thanks for the help.

One way to eliminate the possibility of a connectivity problem is to run the command
PING SERVERIPADDRESS /T > PINGLOG.TXT
from a command prompt. This will ping the server IP address (until you hit CTRL-C) and put the results in a file called PINGLOG.TXT. Then if you check the file later you can see if the connection dropped out when the workstation couldn't connect to the server. I was able to use this to troubleshoot our T1 line a while back and it worked great.

HTH

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back