Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection problems with only particular programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenage

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Greetings.

I am experiencing the most peculiar problem on my personal computer at home; I have tried everything I can think of so would like to see if anybody here has any further ideas.

The problem:
When I try to use any P2P program the internet connection simply stops working. The connection does not disconnect but any request on any protocol simply times out; I can maually disconnect but in order to reconnect I actually have to restart the computer. There is no problem when I use any other internet related software.

Hardware/Software:
Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem (directly connected to the machine).
Windows XP (up to date with service packs and fixes, drivers).

What I have checked and tried:
No spyware is present (I have been quite feral about this).
Winsock fix and various other checks applied.
Software firewall checked, removed, re-applied.
Replaced the modem (same make/model).

I really just can not think of anything else to try, if anybody else can I would be most grateful.

Problem solved & case closed.

After another fresh driver install the problem went away. I'm not going to even try and fathom why this would only effect certain transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back