Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Problems VNC & Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

levg

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
I need to connect to my personal PC that is behind a linksys router from anywhere that has VNC installed. I've forwarded ports 5800 and 5900 to my personal computer, which has Real VNC installed. To connect, I'm connecting to the WAN address of the router. Is there anything else I need to do? When I try to access the personal computer from a computer lab, it fails to connect.

Thanks!

Oh yeah-
More details on my situation are:
I'm using DSL service from Earthlink
Got this service that converts the WAN address into a web address so that I can connect to it without having to remember the ip address (I update the ip address whenever the DSL goes down, because when it does, Earthlink assigns a new IP address)
Hope this stuff helps.

Lev, I'm having a similar issue except the other way around.

I have my home pcs connected to a Cisco 806 router which is then connected to a cable modem. I run Cisco vpn client, connect to my work pcs, then run tightvnc and connect to my work boxes. I can't connect if I go through my router.

If I bypass my router I get right in. There is something (ipinspect or access list) that is allowing vpn to go through but not vnc.

Hi, Did you solve the problem? I have same problem when I use vnc java viewer, when I type the java applet started and asked for password, and however it failed to connect after input the password. I have cable modem and a linksys router, the router forwarding 5800 to the pc. Any idea? Thanks.

I haven't had time to tackle this lately but I still am without a solution. It has to be ipinspect or access list, there is nothing else on my router that would stop vnc (or pcanywhere for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back