Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection of Two Hubs with Dual Servers... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokerij

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
Hello Everyone.
As of right now our set up is as follows....

We run two servers, both on WinNT (I know we need to update)as of now they both plug directly into the wall from their NIC's which runs lines down the hall into another office and into a Netgear 24 port HUB, here the cluster distribution begins. We have recently purchased a new Netgear 24 port Hub as our organization is growing.

First is there any thing I should take into consideration when adding a second hub, like what ports should be used to link them if that is important? Also the difference between 'Normal' & 'Uplink' button on the hub?

Second we are doing much our expansion on this side of the office, where the two main servers reside, and it seems ridiculous to add the hub where the original is mounted and run all of these lines way over to the other side of the building to the new clients.

Can we unplug the servers connection into the wall, and plug them into the new hub which will be mounted near them, and not near the original hub on the other side of the building and then take two small patch cables and run them from the newly mounted hub and run the patch cables into the ports on the wall we just removed the servers from? Will this effect the network, or the speed at which we run? We would then expand and add new clients by running new lines on the new hub to the new office locations.

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

Plug them in wherever you want to plug them in. The maximum practical length for a Cat5 cable run is 100m (300ft).

Cable types: patch or crossover?
PC - Hub: patch
PC - PC: crossover
Hub - Hub: crossover

The exception is with an uplink port - this crosses over the cables for you, which allows you to use a patch cable between 2 network devices.

The remaining points to make are about bottlenecks:
* hubs share collision domains - the more traffic on the network, the worse everything gets.
* uplink ports are still only 10MBps: if lots of traffic is hitting the server, you may want to invest in gigabit technology.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back