Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection lost - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
GB
My daughter is at University and has a Lynksys g router and adapter.

The router suddenly stopped and all connections lost. After much tech chat to Tiscallu got the router working but cannot get the adapter to link up with the router.

I'm not familiar with this and did what rmote diagnostics over the phone that I couyld.

Right clicking on the network icon gives four options:

Wireless Network Connection
(Not connected. Right-click here for more options.)

1. Change Windows Firewall Settings
2. Open Network Connections
3. Repair
4. View Available Wireless Networks

Clicking on each one gives the following results:-
1. N/A

2. It says: Connected 1394 Connection Connected 1394 Net Adapter
Network Cable Unplugged
Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged Real tek RTL81391810xF..
Not connected Wireless Network Connection Not connected Linksys Wireless-GVSB N..
Wizard New Connection Wizard Network Startup Wizard
(NB this has always been the result, apperently - even when it was working).

3. I click repair and then it says:
“Windows is taking the following action: Connecting to the wireless network.”
And then that it cannot “Connect to the Wireless Network. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network”.

4. It says “Windows cannot configure this wireless connection… If you want Windows to configure this Wireless Connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service”.

Any one any suggestions. She is desperate!!

Many thanks.

check the configuration of the wireless setting on your router, the wireless setting should match the setting on your wireless card (ie: SSID and if you enable WEP or WPA , make sure the seurity key matches the setting on your wireless card) the linksys wireless adapter have a untitly software to configure your wireless setting , it usually locate on your tasbar on the bottum right corner. i hope that help you.

Also make sure the radio is enabled on the machine's wireless card. Does the network she wants to connect to show up in the list of availabe networks? you can choose between the windows wireless configuration utility (looks like you need to start the service) or the linksys one....as jpower says above.

I'm assuming you tried connecting to the modem itself via cable and seeing if internet was there. If that doesn't work, try power cycling everything. Wait several minutes for the modem and router after unplugging, plug in modem, then plug in router, then power on laptop. Test internet to make sure it's working then work on the router settings so that they match.

good luck

Is it a wireless only router? If you also have wired ports try to plug an ethernet wire into it, that should work.

Then at least you can take your time figuring out the wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back