Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Lost / General Network Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Hopefully somebody can throw me a bone here in terms of troubleshooting because I know nothing about SQL Server. I'm trying to point the problem away from a general server/network issue and AT the software people that set up the SQL Express database and their software.

Error using ChiroTouch software:
"Connection lost!! (-2147467259)[DBNETLIB][Connection Read (recv()).] General network error. Check your documentation."

Environment - basically everything is new
New switch and network cabling
New server running 2008R2 with all updates for Windows and network card driver (16GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3 processor)
SQL Express because we only have about 5 workstations connecting to the database
Server is running in a Workgroup environment at the moment, but I want to switch it to a Domain

Researching the error shows ideas along these lines:
* Network problems
* Use TCP/IP vs. Named Pipes for database communication or vice versa
* Turn off TCP/IP Chimney Offload

I don't want to proceed until I get some more experienced advice. I'm going to do network communication checks on Monday.

If the database is set up for Named Pipes and a ping -a doesn't result in a DNS name being returned, does that pose a problem for communications right there?

Well, even DUMBER than dumb, I found yesterday that the Doctor's Win 7 workstation was set to go into SLEEP mode after 20 minutes. So, I'm hoping (94% probability?) that this is the source of the problem. I would think that if the client is logged into the database and then goes to sleep, it would throw some kind of error when the client wakes up.

Who sets up a computer in an office environment to go to sleep?? I know - it comes out of the box that way. I won't declare victory yet, but perhaps I started troubleshooting at the wrong end - server vs. workstation. At least I did all my troubleshooting remotely without taking a drive.

It seems, so far after 1.5 days, that the SLEEP setting was the culprit. Which makes sense. I didn't set the computer up, so don't blame me. Will post back if error resurfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back