Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Locaton weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
Not sure where to post this as ts a very strange one.

I have a SBS2003 that has IIS running. It has support for PHP.

I have also another sever (Linux) which hods a MYSQL database.

I call up a PHP page that resides in the SBS server that uses PHP to connect to the MYSQL server and retrieve the records.

However the user being passed to the Mysql server is the correct user name coded in the PHP script plus a location so "user @ somewhere"

I would assume the "somewhere" portion to be the name of the SBS server however it comes up as "AMontpellier-257-1-113-99.w90-0.abo.wanadoo.fr"

I'm not sure if its Windows that's doing it or what.

I've scoured through the PHP config files and nothing has that string anywhere, so it must be getting that information form the server it resides on, in other words the SBS, where would it get that location?

Now if I copy that location as is and put it into an IE Window it will automatically resolve to the SBS server Welcome Page.
Any ideas why this is happening, Why is it using a French address? I'm not even near France. What I can do to loose that address name?

I've scanned for Viruses and there's nothing on the server. Its protected by 2 firewalls ands has no access from the internet.

I guess I'll post this in the PHP forum also. But I think its SBS that's using that address as its own.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

user@domain.com indicates an attempt to use a UPN for authentication...aka, potentially attempts to use kerberos (can be verified in network trace).

My guess is that the SBS domain name is AMontpellier-257-1-113-99.w90-0.abo.wanadoo.fr..so if my assumption is correct, and its attempting to use kerberos, it would need to append the @domain.com onto the name in order to utilize the service principal name.

if possible, id say load a VM with plain old windows 2003 (not sbs), do NOT join to domain, configure your website there, then attempt access. If you still see the @AMontpellier-257-1-113-99.w90-0.abo.wanadoo.fr appended, then the problem is on the linux side (if on linux side, check krb5.conf and associated files for linus config)..if not, its on the sbs side.

that should point to where the actual problem is...from there, mayeb we can figure it out a bit easier :)

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+

Or you are using public IPs on your internal network and the Linux box took the SBS server's IP and then pulled that name from an RDNS query to the outside...I think that's a more likely cause.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

ShackDaddy said:
Let me guess, your SBS server's internal IP is 90.0.0.99?

As a matter of fact it is? Should it not be?

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

This whole problem is because you are using public IP addresses in your internal network, so your Linux server isn't sure whether it's supposed to talk to the host with that address that's outside on the internet, or to the host with that address inside your network.

You should use addresses in the 10.0.0.0 network or, better, in the 192.168.0.0 network. So 10.0.5.7 or 192.168.45.12 would be valid addresses to use, although not on the same network.

You might just change the first digit of your network addresses inside to 10, so for example, your SBS server would be at 10.0.0.99, and that way it wouldn't be in conflict with home computers in France... All your computers would need to be re-addressed this way. Let me know if this is at all unclear.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

I see, actually I've always given my networks addresses in the 90 range. Didn't know they had become public now.

I guess I'll have to change addresses. Fortunately the rest of the machines on the Network are all on DHCP, so its just a matter of changing in one location and then restarting all PC's to get them new addresses.

The servers are set manually but that's easily changed.

Guess I'm coming in on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back