Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection failure with host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pynz1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2006
US
I have been running the MAS 200 program for about 9 years. Recently one workstation is not able to connect the the host. This did not happen over night. First, the work station would connect after 3 or 4 attemps. After about a week it would take 10 - 15 attemps. Currently it will not connect at all. I have checked all of the hardware, and it is fine. I receive the error message "unable to connect to the server. Make sure the the host program is running on port number 10000"" The host is running on 10000 and I have checked the SOTA.INI file of the work station to confirm that it is also using 10000. I am at a loss and do not know what to check next.

From the work station ping the server by IP address and name. From the server ping the work station. If any fail that is your issue.

I was able to ping all addresses from both server and work station

I assume you havge already un-installed and re-installed the work station?

Also, during the set up make sure you are correctly mapping to the server. I've seen time outs happen when the entire address is not input during set up.

RK

When doing work station install it is always best to use the IP address.

You guys are the best. I reinstalled the program and used the IP address for set up. I have not problems connecting. Thanks for all the help!!!

When you said
I was able to ping all addresses from both server and work station

If you did not ping by name then try it and if the ping by name does not work, you have dns issues.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back